Friday, November 29, 2013

IFRS: Knowledge or Certificate?


Watching the trend of publicity that is being given to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and the rate at which people (especially professionals) are expending funds on courses with pursuit of attaining certificates and/or certifications on same, I wonder if it is the certification that matters or the practical knowledge of the standards.

Having read books and other materials on IFRS, I realised that it is nothing but a Standard (i.e. Rule, Law, Guidelines etc) like International Accounting Standards (IAS), Statement of Accounting Standards (SAS) and so on that guides the way and manner accounts are prepared.

Nevertheless, I am not undermining the importance of training or sophistication of IFRS but the quesion is "Do we need certificates and diplomas in IFRS as organised by ICAN, ACCA before the Accounting Standards can be enshrined in us as professionals?" I pray we won't have Institute of IFRS Accountants someday soon.

Maybe all we need is vibrant reading culture that is backed by availability of materials couple with networking of professional minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Financial Doping: When Money Creates an Illusion of Competitive Strength

  In sport, doping refers to the use of prohibited substances or methods to enhance performance beyond what would ordinarily be achieved thr...